Privacy Principles and Responsibilities
Freedom Lifestyle Villages is committed to promoting and protecting individual privacy in relation to the collection, storage, use, access to, correction, and disclosure of personal information, in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993.
The protection of personal privacy is integral to Freedom Lifestyle Villages in fulfilling its role as an employer and providing good client service, and it is the responsibility of all staff who hold or work with personal information about staff and clients.
Information (no matter how it is stored) is personal information if the individual can be identified from that information.
Privacy Protection Principles
1. Personal information may only be collected for a lawful and necessary purpose connected with some required function or activity of Freedom Lifestyle Villages, and it should not be used for any other purpose.
2. Personal information must, as a general rule, be collected directly from the person concerned, and it must be collected in a lawful, fair, and reasonable manner.
3. The person must be told that the information is being collected, why it is being collected, to what use it will be put, and who the intended recipients are.
4. The safety and privacy of personal information must be protected by taking all reasonable security safeguards to protect against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification, disclosure, or any other misuse.
5. Every person has the right to have access to information collected about them and to seek a correction if they feel the information is wrong, or at least to have a statement of the requested correction attached to the information. Requests for access must be dealt with promptly – i.e., within 20 working days.
6. Before using personal information, Freedom Lifestyle Villages must take reasonable steps to ensure that it is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant, and not misleading, and that it is being used for the purpose for which it was collected.
7. Personal information must not be kept for longer than is required for the purposes for which the information may lawfully be used.
Freedom Lifestyle Villages acknowledges and accepts the principles and responsibilities embodied in the Privacy Act 1993.